Forest Protection Division
Diseases and insect pests of nurseries, plantations and forests and their integrated management.
- Bioprospecting bioinoculants and beneficial microbes/ insects for plant productivity enhancement, industrial use, bioremediation and livelihood generation.
- Microbial/ insect biodiversity and effect of climate change on pathological and entomological problems including biotechnologies interventions.
- Biodegradation and bio-deterioration of wood.
- Provide plant quarantine and other services with respect to forestry species involving pathological and entomological expertise.
Undertake research on insect pests and diseases of important tree species of the region and to develop protocol for their management.
- To develop integrated insect pest and disease control models.
- Development of biopesticides from native species and their commercialization.
- Application of beneficial microbes in forestry.
- To evolve sound disease management strategies for enhancement of forest productivity.
- Establishment of infrastructure for insect pathology, biological control laboratory, insectary, insectarium and other emerging frontiers of forest protection.
- To study the effect of climate change on insect and microbial biodiversity.
- Investigate the queries on insect pest and disease problems raised by the state forest department, NGOs and farmers and to suggest management techniques of their control.
- Establishment of infrastructure for insect pathology, biological control laboratory, insectary, insectarium and other emerging frontiers on forest protection.
A. Plan Projects:
- Bio-ecological Studies on Ectropis deodarae Prout. (Lepidoptera: Geometridae), A Pest of Deodar in the Western Himalayas. PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (April, 2002 to March, 2006)
- Development of Model for Integrated Pest Management with special reference to Cedrus deodara (Roxb) G. Don. PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (April, 2000 to March, 2006)
- Screening and selection of insect pest resistant phenotypes/ genotypes of important tree species. (Pinus roxburghii Sarg., Cedrus deodara (Roxb) G. Don and Dalbergia sissoo Roxb.). PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (April, 2000 to March, 2006)
- Survey, Biology and Control of Important Insect-Pests of Medicinal Plants of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (April, 2005 to March, 2010)
- Management of Insect Borer Complex in Chir-Pine Forests. PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (April, 2006 to March, 2012)
- Study on potential insect-pests and pathogens of cone and seeds of Pinus gerardiana Wall. PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (April, 2008 to March, 2010)
- Management of insect-pests & pathogens of seeds of Pinus gerardiana Wall. in storage. PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (April, 2010 to March, 2013)
- Productivity enhancement through selection of superior clones of Dalbergia sissoo (PSIP) PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (April, 2007 to March, 2013)
- Study on the Influence of Climate on Bionomics of Pityogenes scitus Blanford (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (April, 2011 to March, 2016)
- Biology and Management of Insect pests of seeds of Juniperus polycarpos C. Koch and evaluating the insect-pests resistance performance in the nursery for three years. PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (April, 2012 to March, 2015)
B. External Aided Project
- Taxonomy, Biodiversity and Habitat Association of Noctuid Moths (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in various Conifer Forests of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (September, 2008 to March, 2012)
- Taxonomy and molecular analysis (through RAPD-PCR) of moths (Lepidoptera) of Cold Deserts (Spiti and Leh) of Indian Himalayas. PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (April, 2012 to March, 2015)
- Biological Control of Thysanoplusia orichalsia (F) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae): A Potential insect- pest of Saussurea costus in North-Western Himalayas and extension of protection technology to local communities. PI: Dr. Ranjeet Singh (November, 2013 to October, 2016)
- Ecological studies on distribution patterns and food plant resources of butterflies along Altitudinal gradients in different ecosystems of Western Himalayan Sub-Alpine Forests of Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr. Pawan Kumar (April, 2013 to November, 2016)
- Bio-diversity, Habitat Associations and GIS Mapping of Noctuid Moths (Noctuidae: Lepidoptera) of Chir Pine Forest of Jammu Province (Jammu & Kashmir), India. PI: Dr. Subhash Chandra (April, 2016 to March, 2019)
- Conservation of Pinus gerardiana through Mycorrhizal Biotechnology. PI: Dr. Ashwani Tapwal (April, 2016 to March, 2019)
A. Plan project
- Studies on changing forest insect-pests status of high altitude transitional zones and their management in Himachal Pradesh. PI: Dr.Subhash Chander (June, 2016 to March, 2021)
- Studies on effect of AM inoculations on the active ingredient contents and biomass production in Angelica glauca Edgew. and Valeriana jatamansi Jones. PI: Dr. Ashwai Tapwal (April, 2019 to March, 2024)
- Insect pest of Western Himalayan Oaks and their control. PI: Dr. Subhash Chander (October, 2019 to March, 2021)
B. External Aided Project
- Studies on improving livelihood generation through scientific intervention in Pinus gerardiana wall. And important wild mushrooms in H.P. PI: Dr Ashwani Tapwal (2017- 2020)
|Name of Equipment|
|1.||Microscope Nikon E400|
|5.||Microscope (LMI 3003276A) Leedz micra XZ-150wA-cold Light Illuminator|
|6.||Insect Activity Recorder|
|8.||Microscope Nikon SMZ1500|
|10.||Insect Growth Chamber|
|12.||Insect Growth Chamber|
|15||Leaf Area Meter|
|21||Multichamber cooling unit|
Name and Designation
Dr. Pawan Kumar, Scientist- E
Ms. Savita Kumari Banyal, CTO
Sh. Vipin Kumar, Senior Technician
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Ashwani Tapwal, Scienitst -E & Head of Division
Phone:0177-2816114, 0177-2816214 Mobile No.: 094180-65960